Saturday, February 16, 2019

A kitty called Bunny

Hello there,

Another project made for Copic España blog. It wasn't my intention to make it a tutorial, but I am sharing some tricks of how to sketch a semi-realistic pet portrait.

But I guess I have to explain the name of the post (it is not sketch related so you can skip it if you want). 
So we own a cat (or she owns us 😂) Her name is Zayka. She appeared at our porch a year ago so skinny and scared. Her ears were shredded in a nasty fight... we got her to the vet and operated her.
Normally the cat starts walking and acting normal in a week after the operation, in case of Zayka it was more than a month - she was hardly moving from her bed in the storage room. Then very slowly she started to get up. We were looking for a home for her, and didn't want to give her a name to get attached so we called her Little Kitty or Zayka ("zayka" literally means "bunny" in Russian, but is widely used in a meaning "sweetie" or "darling"). After our older dog died we decided to adopt Zayka. And the name kinda stuck with her 😃 And what we thought she hadn't been feeling well. she is just really introverted 😂 


So I made her portrait in a bunny hat. Makes sense, right? 😉


I know it is
a mauvais ton to make a sketch with a pencil, but I do it anyways.
Start colouring with some solid colors thoroughly blending them in.
I really recommend not to fall into temptation and draw every single mark on the fur, it looks much better as a hint.


When I was a kid a drawing class teacher once told us that if we draw the eyes of the model the closest to the original we have succeeded.
I didn't use any black marker in this drawing. It's all greys, black liner and black pencil.
I put some light blue in the pupils before covering it all with grey (BG01, C1, C2, C7)
Eyes: BG01, YG41, a bit of B63 for shading. Cold greys (C1, C2, C5, C7)


Fur: warm greys, cool greys, E37, E57.
It is important to understand the direction the hair grows and follow the lines (from nose outwards and from the borders toward the nose)
Nose: E37, R14, C1, C2.
I used the same trick putting some blue underneath the dark grey for the hat. 
Ears: BG01, cool greys. 
Hearts: R14, B63
Hat: Y00, E51, E31, ER20, C1, C2. Shading E57 and B63.


Finally I used a black liner to adjust the shape, black pencil to add depth and a white pen for light reflection. Keep in mind how the hair grows!

I cut it out and placed on a scrapbooking design paper with 3d foamies in a frame.
Ready!


and some pictures of my model




Isn't she a beauty?

well, it's all for today. I am posting more stuff on my Instagram account. 

xxxInga 💗💗💗

PS while drawing it I had a song stuck in my head. The name of it is written in golden letters under the drawing, it reads "Зайка моя" (my bunny).
I can't suffer alone so here's a link to a video of this song 😂😂😂 OMG I can't believe it was on Russian TV all the time 😝





No comments:

Post a Comment